I love the bold wisdom of Psalm 37; it's a punch in the gut with both conviction and encouragement. David covers an array of powerful topics:
I'd like to do something a bit different on the blog today. Instead of breaking the psalm down, I'd like to list some of the principles, wisdom, and promises of God below. You can then write down the one, or two, or maybe more, that speak to you! Put it on your mirror, write it in your journal, place a sticky note on your laptop--whatever works for you! This week is about you finding something to hold onto in your journey.
- "Trust in the Lord and do good. Then you will live safely in the land and prosper. Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you your heart’s desires." v. 3-4
- "Commit everything you do to the Lord. Trust him, and he will help you. He will make your innocence radiate like the dawn, and the justice of your cause will shine like the noonday sun." v. 5-6
- "Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for him to act. Don’t worry about evil people who prosper or fret about their wicked schemes." v. 7
- "Stop being angry! Turn from your rage!Do not lose your temper—it only leads to harm. For the wicked will be destroyed, but those who trust in the Lord will possess the land." v. 8-9
- "It is better to be godly and have little than to be evil and rich." v. 16
- "Day by day the Lord takes care of the innocent, and they will receive an inheritance that lasts forever. They will not be disgraced in hard times; even in famine they will have more than enough." v. 18-19
- "The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives. Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand." v. 23-24
- "Once I was young, and now I am old. Yet I have never seen the godly abandoned or their children begging for bread. The godly always give generous loans to others, and their children are a blessing." v. 25-26
- " Turn from evil and do good, and you will live in the land forever. For the Lord loves justice, and he will never abandon the godly. He will keep them safe forever, but the children of the wicked will die. The godly will possess the land and will live there forever." v. 27-29
- "Put your hope in the Lord. Travel steadily along his path. He will honor you by giving you the land. You will see the wicked destroyed." v. 34
- "Look at those who are honest and good, for a wonderful future awaits those who love peace. But the rebellious will be destroyed; they have no future." v. 37-38
- "The Lord rescues the godly; he is their fortress in times of trouble. The Lord helps them, rescuing them from the wicked. He saves them, and they find shelter in him." v. 39-49
Sometimes we need to take a small nugget of truth and chew on it for awhile. I hope you'll take whatever speaks to you and meditate on it for a bit. Let God speak to you through His Word!